According to nuts.com, “almonds are one of the world’s most nutritious and versatile nuts, renowned for their many health benefits and culinary uses.”
Almonds are indeed nutritious touting such nutrients as biotin, promoting healthy hair and nail growth, vitamin E, essential for the maintenance of healthy skin, and manganese, helping to strengthen your bones.
As you create our salad recipe, take a peak at this almond infographic below to keep you inspired, then enjoy your nutrient dense meal!
Shredded kale salad with crushed almonds and cheese
Prep Time: 7 minutes Total Time: 17 minutes Serves 4
- 1 bunch lacinato/dinosaur kale, rinsed, leaves removed from stems
- 2-3 handfuls of roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 4 inch wide piece of sharp cheddar/manchego/ricotta salata (shredded), diced
- 1 lemon, pitted, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Prep: After prepping your kale, pat it dry or run it through a salad spinner. Layer each leaf, one on top of the other, then roll the leaves tight. With a chefs knife, chop kale into very fine and thin slices – the finer you slice the more delicate the experience.
2. Assemble: In a large salad bowl, add your kale, chopped almonds and diced cheese. Pour your lemon and olive oil over the salad, then mix well, massaging with your hands. Taste as you go, adding more lemon or olive oil as desired. Make sure that all of the kale has been massaged, then let sit for 5 minutes to marinate.
3. Serve: Place your beautiful kale salad into bowls, topping them with two whole roasted almonds for garnish.
Written by Flora Mckay, Director of Community & Nutrition