This Saturday, December 17th, is the last cooking class of our December series at Asphalt Green Battery Park City! Sign your 5 to 9 year old up to join Chef Gisselle to make a special holiday meal.
Our chefs-in-training will cook and enjoy autumn root vegetable gratin with herbs and cheese, homemade herb bread and butter, sweet potato blondies, and fizzy rosemary seltzer.
In the meantime, here’s the hit recipe Chef Gisselle and her chefs-in-training cooked last week, squashy spaghetti, lemon herb chicken with carrot top pesto, and chewy carrot ginger cookies!
Serves 8 hungry chefs: Cook time: 2 hours.
CARROT TOP PESTO
- 1 bunch carrot tops (1 C lightly packed carrot leaves)
- ½ C olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ c fresh basil
- ¼ t salt
- 4 T pumpkin seeds
- ¼ C parmesan
- 1 T honey (opt)
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 3 T olive oil
- ½ T basil
- ½ T parsley
- ½ T thyme
- ½ T rosemary
- ½ t salt
FRESH BASIL LEMONADE
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup basil
- 4 lemons
CHEWY GINGER CARROT COOKIES
- •2 cups flour
- •½ tsp baking soda
- •½ tsp salt
- •2 tsp ground cinnamon
- •½ tsp ground ginger
- •1 tsp ground nutmeg
- •¾ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- •1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- •½ cup sugar
- •1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- •1 large egg and 1 large egg yolk
- •1 pack of crystallized ginger cubes
- •1½ cups finely grated carrots (about 2 medium-large carrots)
- •1½ cups white chocolate chips
- •½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- •½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
HERB CHICKEN THIGHS
- 8 chicken thighs with skin
- 1 bunch oregano
- 1 bunch parsley
- Prep the Squash
- Preheat oven to 375F & 425F
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop seeds, and place facing up in baking dish with ½ in water. Start baking immediately to allow time to cool
- Check on squash in 20 min. If squash is still very hard, break down squash into smaller pieces and boil in pot of water.
- Remove leafy tops from carrots, break down carrots
- Prep chicken thighs by loosening the skin. Pat dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Make the Cookies!
- Reduce oven heat to 325 F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter, stirring occasionally. Cook the butter until it turns slightly golden brown. It will have a nutty aroma. Be careful not to burn it.
- Pour the browned butter into the the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Add the sugars to the butter and beat until combined. Scrape the bowl and beat again.
- One at a time, mix in the eggs and beat well after each. Mix in the vanilla. Scrape the bowl and let rest for 2 minutes. Mix again until smooth.
- Add the carrots and mix until combined.
- In two parts, add the dry ingredients and mix together on medium speed until almost all the flour has been incorporated.
- Fold in the coconut and pieces of ginger.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Drop ¼ cup size balls of dough onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Press a few extra pieces of ginger on the top of the dough.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Herbed Chicken
- Tug a pinch of herbs underneath the skin of the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30- 35 minutes at 425F.
- Basil Simple Syrup
- Mix 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small sauce pan. Cook till sugar dissolves, add basil leaves and allow to steep.
- Carrot Top Pesto
- Toast pepitas for five minutes in oven or on stove top
- Chop fresh basil and grate parmesan cheese
- Measure out and combine pesto ingredients: carrot leaves, fresh basil, garlic and salt in mixing bowl. Pulse in food processor until well mixed
- Add in toasted pumpkin seeds and parmesan and pulse until well combined
- Squash Spaghetti and Sauteed carrot garnish
- Slice carrots into thin rounds.
- Sautee in olive oil until golden brown. Flipping to prevent burning.
- Scrape the squash into spaghetti like pieces or distribute individual pieces
- Collect squash in mixing bowl and combine with dried herbs/olive oil.
- Combine pesto with squash
- Serve with side of sauteed carrots and Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Make Lemonade
- Squeeze lemons into cup. Add water and add 1 tablespoon of basil simple syrup.
- Add basil syrup, chill
Serve and enjoy!