Our chefs in training practiced their slicing and dicing skills, while learning about the health benefits of coconut oil which helps boost our immune system, enhances our memory, and provides us with healthy fats that help improve our cholesterol levels.
We hope that you will make memories in your family kitchen with our apple turnover recipe!
- 1 C whole wheat + 1 C AP flour
- ½ t salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, solid
- 1/3-1/2 cup ice water
- 4 apples
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ½ lemon
- ½ t cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- 1 T flour
- pinch of salt
- dried cherries, raisins (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 375˚
2) Rinse all fruit
3) Make the dough: Mix dry ingredients. Cut solid coconut oil in small increments using pastry blender or fork. Add water by the tablespoon until dough just comes together. Set aside. Place the dough in fridge to chill.
4) Make the filling: Slice and dice apples, and combine with lemon juice, spices, flour and salt. If the filling is too juicy from the apple juice, add a pinch more flour to absorb or drain using a colander.
5) Assemble the turnovers:
- Cut dough into smaller pieces. Roll out into 1/8-inch thick rounds on a lightly floured surface.
- Place ~2 T of filling on one half and sprinkle with dried cherries or raisins if desired.
- Fold over and seal, using fork or fingers to crimp the edges.
- Bake at 375˚ degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.