Today our Junior Chefs will be putting together some gooey grilled cheese sandwiches and a Tuscan Panzanella Salad for a side. Both dishes will feature tomatoes, a favorite of ours! Tomatoes are a red food, known for keeping our hearts healthy and diets full of antioxidants. We will use just two different types of tomatoes today but did you know there are over 1,000 types in the world? What are your favorite kinds? Feel free to share below!
- 1 baguette
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 red onion
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
For Vinaigrette: 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 lemons juiced, 2 T red wine or apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste!
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Tear baguette into cubes. Toss bread with olive oil in bowl,
spread onto baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
3. Hand out and chop cucumbers and tomatoes. Dice onion.
4. Pluck parsley from stems.
5. Combine all ingredients in a bowl with bread cubes.
6. Squeeze lemons. Mix and whisk together ingredients for dressing.
Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 1 baguette
- 2 slicing tomatoes
- 1/2 lb grated cheese
- olive oil
- 4 T butter + extra
1. Brush a bit of olive oil onto bread
2. Slice tomatoes and cheese
3. Layer bread, cheese and tomatoes to build sandwich
4. Heat a little bit of butter in a skillet until melted, grill sandwiches for 2-3 minutes
5. Serve with Panzanella Salad and Enjoy!