Try making cod with this Italian twist, and keep in mind this helpful information from the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch when it comes to purchasing this tasty, flaky friend of the sea.
Prep time: 2 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
- Cod filet, 5-7 oz
- Potatoes, 3 large
- Capers, 1 – 2 T
- Olive Oil, 2 T for pan + 1 T for assembly
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Lemon, 1/2 medium
- Cilantro, a few leaves
- Optional: balsamic vinegar reduction
1. Prep: Rinse and cut potatoes into quarters. Rinse your cod under cold water.
2. Cook: Place potatoes into a steamer basket, cover and let steam for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. While the potatoes are steaming, cook the cod. Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat, then add the cod. Season with salt and pepper, let it cook on each side for 5-9 minutes, until flaky and cooked through out.
3. Assemble: Add steamed potatoes into the fish pan. Mash fish and potatoes together well, adding in the capers, lemon and olive oil. Season to taste. With two large spoons (or your hands), create a ball shaped form, and place the mash on your plate. Top with cilantro leaves, and place a few drops of balsamic reduction to dip your mash into.