An important part of eating healthy is being creative with the ingredients we use in making our meals. It’s great fun to follow a recipe, but savvy chefs know that they can also change a recipe to use ingredients that are in season and readily available. This week we’re celebrating creativity in the kitchen by making our meals beautiful as well – through colorful vegetables, decorative displays, and garnishes. We will be putting together a fresh nicoise salad with a side of colorful roasted radishes. Let’s get cooking and let our creativity shine through!
ROASTED RAINBOW RADISHES
- 2 c multi colored radishes (look for reds, purples, pinks and whites!)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 c white beans
- 1 c green beans
- ¼ c nicoise olives
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 7 fingerling potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon
- ½ c olive oil
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ bunch parsley
- 2 T capers
For the radishes:
Preheat Oven to 350. Cut the radishes into wedges or bite sized pieces. Toss with 2T olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and spread evenly on a sheet tray, then roast until tender.
For the salad:
Do this ahead of time: Boil the potatoes, green beans, and eggs. To boil the eggs perfectly, put eggs in cold water, bring to boil, cover then turn off the heat and let sit for 7 minutes then chill. Mince the onion. Rinse white beans.
1. Cut the boiled green beans into bite size pieces.
2. Cut potatoes into discs.
3. Cut olives lengthwise into 1/4s.
4. Cut cherry tomatoes in halves.
5. Cut the eggs into chunks.
6. Rip the lettuce into bite size pieces and put into a bowl.
7. Make the dressing:
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a container or bowl.
- Add in the olive oil, minced onion, and vinegar.
- Pick the parsley and rip into small pieces and add that in.
- Chop or crush the capers and add them in.
- Shake or whisk to combine the dressing, then taste for seasoning and dress the lettuce.
- If you have extra dressing, dress the other ingredients separately.
To finish, creatively add green beans, potatoes, olives, tomatoes, onions and egg to your lettuce. Drizzle with salad dressing. Serve roasted radishes on the side.