Nom! Nom! Nom! Nothing says summer like a pizza! Our Food + Garden Summer Camp wraps up this Friday, and we will be celebrating with this Super Green Broccoli Pizza and Caprese Salad! This pizza crust is grain-free and made with BROCCOLI and PARMESAN CHEESE! There are many non-traditional “flours” you can use, such as almond or coconut flour, but broccoli is an extra-special flour because it’s a “superfood!” “Superfoods” are nutrient-rich foods packed with vitamins and minerals that help us reach our healthiest selves. They are often colorful and contain lots of antioxidants, which stop “free radicals” that can cause harm to healthy cells.
Celebrate summer and super foods along with us with this unusual delicacy!
Serves 8 young chefs
Recipe: Super Green Broccoli Pizza and Caprese Salad
Serves 8 young chefs
- 2 heads broccoli (approx. 3-4 cups of broccoli “flour”)
- ¼ yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ C grated parm
- 2 large eggs
- oregano, basil, salt + pepper
- 1 ½ C shredded mozzarella
- 1 ½ C crushed tomatoes
- ¾ yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 C kale or spinach
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ lb fresh mozzarella
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400. Line baking tray with foil.
- Simmer crushed tomatoes over medium heat for 5-10 minutes to reduce to pizza sauce consistency. Set aside to cool
Mini Pizza Crusts:
- Tear florets from stem (Setting aside stem). Place in food processor and pulse until broccoli is finely ground. Place broccoli pulp in towel and wring out all water or as much as possible (the drier the broccoli the pieces the better the dough will hold together – can do this in portions.)
- Combine 3-4 cups broccoli pieces with ¼ yellow onion (finely diced), 1 garlic clove (minced), grated parm, 2 large eggs, and seasoning. Crack and beat eggs. Combine.
- Divide dough into 1 large golf ball piece per student. Roll out individual crusts on sheet tray and flatten by palm or spatula.
- Bake at 400 for ~10 minutes and remove
- Chop broccoli stems into bite-size pieces, Tear or cut leafy green into small pieces,
- Spoon to spread sauce onto pizza. Top with shredded cheese and tomatoes, onion, garlic, greens, broccoli stem, additional broccoli florets, and spices as desired
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes and set aside to cool for 15 minutes
- Slice mozzarella and tomatoes. Tear basil leaves from stem. Arrange and lightly drizzle with olive oil and use pinching fingers to season with salt and pepper.
Serve and Enjoy!