When asparagus season starts, it’s easy to get really excited and buy a whole bunch of these detoxifying spears.
But when it feels as though you have exhausted all of your recipe options, it’s time to take out your immersion blender and make some soup!
Serves 2 – Prep time 5 minutes – Total time 15 minutes
- Asparagus, 6-8 spears
- Water, 2 cups
- Small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Crack of pepper
- Dollop of sour cream/creme fraiche/plain yogurt (optional, but recommended)
1. Prep ingredients: Rinse asparagus, snap or cut off tough ends of the spears, then cut in half. Dice your onion.
2. Cook: Add water to a pot, then place asparagus in the water. Cover, and bring to a boil then to a simmer. Steam for 5-7 minutes (depending on thickness of spears). While asparagus is steaming, add oil to a pan and caramelize your onions for 5-7 minutes.
3. Blend and serve: Add your caramelized onions into the pot with the steamed asparagus. Insert your immersion blender (or pour contents into your food processor), blend until smooth. Serve in bowls, with a drizzle of olive oil and a dollop of sour cream, top with a little salt and pepper.
Enjoy this seasonal soup hot or cold, and have fun experiencing asparagus in a whole new way!