Risotto is a traditional Italian dish usually made with arborio or other short-grain rice that is known for it’s creamy and rich texture. In this recipe we include butter beans! Butter beans are a variety of lima beans and have their unique name because of it’s buttery texture.
Beans, like nuts and seeds, are plant-based foods that provide a lot protein to help our bodies build muscle and make us strong. When we eat grains and beans together our bodies get a super nutritional boost because these two foods combine to form a complete protein. This means that our bodies can get both complex carbohydrates to give us energy and protein to help build muscle.
By eating a balanced diet, our bodies benefit from all of the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals a variety of foods have to offer us. Combining certain grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and protein sources helps to boost the nutritional value of these foods even more than if they were eaten by themselves.
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 c pearl barley
- 1 c butter beans, canned
- 5 c veg or chicken stock
- 1 c mushrooms
- ½ bu fresh thyme
- 1 wedge parmegiano
3 BEAN SALAD
- 1 c green beans
- 1 lb fresh favas in the pod
- 1 can red beans
- ¼ red onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 lemons
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ bu parsley
- Dice onions and mince garlic. Heat olive oil in pot on medium heat and saute.
- Add barley to pot adding water a few ladles at a time until liquid is absorbed.
- Cut mushrooms into bite size pieces.
- Grate cheese.
- Pick thyme off branches and add to pot.
- Saute mushrooms on high heat.
- Finish risotto by stirring in butter beans, cheese and mushrooms.
- For salad, take fava beans out of shell and blanch.
- Cut green beans into bite size pieces.
- Dice celery and add to bowl with three beans and red onion.
- Take parsley off stems, cut into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice and mix with olive oil. Mix with beans.
- Serve and enjoy!