We were delighted to be apart of the 30th Anniversary Taste of Hope celebration on May 12th, 2015 at the Prince George Ballroom.
We have partnered with HOPE since our inception, almost 7 years ago, and have been attending their fundraiser event every year.
This year our menu consisted of our beef chili, veggie chili, brown rice, sesame kale salad & asparagus salsa with tortilla chips.
We were delighted when we heard from attendees that our chili was one of the best tastes at the event (amongst the various other food vendors – blushing…). It made us all light up!
When we told the guests that our students get to eat this at school, they were surprised and excited to hear how lucky our students are!
Here is our Executive Chef’s beef chili recipe for all of our readers to make at home. A true dinner staple!
- 5 lbs 80/20 ground chuck
- 2 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 2 poblano peppers (seeded & diced)
- 1/4 cup garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 12 oz can white beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1 12 oz can red beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1 12 oz can black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry oregano
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1/8 cup ground coriander
- 1/2 cup dark chili powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
1) Brown meat over medium heat, drain off excess fat and hold to the side.
2) Add oil to a pan heat over medium heat. Add onion and poblano pepper, cook until onion is translucent about 5 minutes. Stir often. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add meat and remaining ingredients to onion & pepper mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
Serve with fresh shredded cheese, chopped chives, avocado, sour cream, brown rice or tortillas, enjoy!
Photo courtesy of JeffreyW