Steam, then blend it up with some tasty ingredients, and voila! you have yourself a nourishing soup.
Make this nutritious recipe on a chilly winter day to warm up your belly, and make you smile.
Are you a fan of the humble kabocha? Check out our other kabocha recipes:
- maple cinnamon kabocha puree
- kabocha squash pappardelle
- pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies (substitute kabocha for pumpkin)
Prep Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 medium kabocha squash
- 3-4 C water (depending on your desired soup consistency)
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- juice of 1 lime
- cilantro, for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Prep: Rinse your kabocha. Cut in half, remove seeds (set aside to roast later) and chop off the step pieces on the top and bottom of the squash. Cut into cubes, leaving the peel on. Peel ginger, cut lime in half, rinse then thinly slice cilantro leaves.
2. Cook: Add kabocha cubes to a pot with 3-4 cups water. You will use this nutrient dense water as your soup base, so add as much or as little as you like. The more you add, the soupier it will be Bring the water to a boil then let the squash steam for 10 minutes, until soft. Add kabocha, water, ginger and fresh lime juice into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
3. Assemble: Pour soup into big soup bowls. Garnish with cilantro, salt and pepper to your liking.
This post was written by Flora McKay, Director of Community & Nutrition