Look no further than a quick DIY food face mask!
Here’s how to make one with avocado, honey and egg yolk (great for dry skin):
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tbsp honey
- yolk of 1 egg (if you want a less moisturizing effect, use egg white instead)
- 2 slices of kirby cucumbers (for your eyes, optional, but recommended)
1. Mix: In a bowl, mix all ingredients together in a food processor or by hand with a mortar/pestle, fork, whisk, potato masher (get creative!).
2. Apply: Spread a layer of the mask on your face and neck, avoiding your eyes and mouth. Place optional cucumber slices over your eyes, lie back in a comfortable chair, and relax, as the nutrients seep into your skin and the cucumbers refresh your eyes. Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
3. Rinse: Remove cucumber slices, and rinse off the mask with warm water. Pat dry. Enjoy soft, and glowing skin!
- Your skin will benefit from the unsaturated fat found in avocados, which helps moisturize and soothe, while vitamin E and C helps protect your skin from free radicals, while promoting strength and elasticity.
- Honey is loaded with antioxidants, and contains natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which benefits those of us who have acne prone skin.
- The B vitamins and choline present in egg yolks are associated with reduced inflammation.
- The high water content present in cucumbers helps hydrates the skin around your eyes, and if stored in the fridge, the cooling sensation helps reduce swelling.
What’s your favorite food mask?
Photo courtesy of Will Merydith