This salad is loaded with vitamins, minerals and protein that will keep you feeling full and ready to enjoy the end of summer.
It also makes for a great packed lunch for your back to school recipe list, so keep this one bookmarked for the start of the school year!
Here’s a quick overview of the star ingredients we will be using in our recipe:
Millet: Mineral Magnet! Contains loads of copper, phosphorous, manganese and magnesium along with fiber helping our hearts, body tissue, lungs, and digestive system stay strong and healthy.
Basil: Vitamin K & Flavonoids! Basil is great not only for it’s aromatic smell, but also for it’s beneficial properties as an anti-inflammatory helping to reduce free radicals.
Tomato: Vitamin C & Lycopene! Tomatoes aid in keeping the heart healthy along with decreasing bad cholesterol.
Mozzarella: Calcium & Protein Powerhouse! This fresh cheese is not only delicious, but it contains a good amount of calcium which can keep your bones, teeth and nails strong along with protein, that helps build and repair tissues.
Millet Caprese Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 22 minutes
- millet: see “millet bowl” (or use leftovers!)
- pesto: see “pasta with sugar snap peas and fresh pesto” (or use leftovers!)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 ball of mozzarella, diced
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh basil for garnish
1. Prep: While your millet is cooking, make your pesto.
2. Mix & Assemble: Add pesto to your cooked millet, mix well. Mix in tomato, mozzarella, balsamic, olive oil. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
Post written by Flora McKay, Director of Community & Nutrition