Gimme the beat! Red beets, golden beets, and candy cane beets! At Butter Beans, we love the creative ways our junior chefs utilize this root vegetable. Not only is the entire vegetable, including the stems and leaves edible, it is super versatile and can be prepared in a variety ways. Do you want to add a sweet crunch to your salad? Grate it and eat it raw! Do you want to try a new leafy green? Sauté the leaves! You can even use the bright red color of the root to make a natural dye for artwork and tie-dyes!
This upcoming week in cooking class, we will be tasting the difference between cooked and raw beets in this Roasted Beets and ABC Slaw Recipe. Based on the ingredients, can you guess what “ABC” stands for?
Roasted Beets Ingredients:
- 2 medium red beets
- 2 medium gold beets
- 5 small candy cane beets, or other color
- Olive oil to coat
- salt + pepper taste
ABC Slaw Ingredients:
- 1 apple
- medium red beet
- 2 carrots
- ½ T fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- 4 T olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line sheet tray with foil or parchment.
- Peel beets and chop into bite size pieces.
- Taste the beets and see if there is a difference in flavors!
- Toss the beets in a little olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Spread beets on sheet tray and put in the oven for about 20 minutes or until sugars start to caramelize a bit on the outside.
- While the beets are roasting, make the slaw.
- Grate apple, beet and carrots. Use the larger holes and watch your fingers!
- Pick cilantro leaves off the stems and then cut or rip them into small pieces.
- Add all ingredients to large bowl.
- Make the dressing:
- Squeeze the limes into a bowl or container with lid.
- Grate ginger
- Add 4 T olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk or shake dressing.
- Add the ginger and dressing to the grated veggies and mix together.
- Serve with roasted beets and enjoy!