It’s our last week in the kitchen with our budding chefs and while we’re sad to see them go, we’re grateful for all the fun we’ve had! In the past few months, we have learned about eating the rainbow, seasonal foods, balancing our food with healthful combinations, parts of the plant, being sustainable, aromatics, preserving the flavors of the season, being mindful, creative food art, superfoods and community and holiday celebrations. And the learning does not have to stop here! We hope you’ll try this tasty summer treat out at home, along with all of our other creations from this year. See below for the full recipe!
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 1 lb strawberries
- ½ lemon
- ¼ c honey (or sugar)
- canned cool whip
- 2.5 c oats
- ¼ c sunflower seeds
- ½ raisins
- ¼-1/2 c honey or sugar
- ¼ c sunbutter
- 2 T canola oil
- ½ t cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ¼ t salt
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 apples
- .5 lb strawberries
- .5 rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Breakdown rhubarb.
- Cut lemon into wedges.
- Breakdown celery and apples.
- Slice rhubarb into ¾ in. pieces, (set aside about 1/3 raw for side salad).
- Cut strawberries into quarters (set aside about 1/3)
- Squeeze lemon juice into bowl.
- Combine and place in small pot over medium-high heat. Add sweetener in increments. Adjust sweetener quantity to your liking. Taste as you go!
- Bring mixture to a boil. Turn down heat and allow to simmer until compote reaches desired consistency (thick and smooth), stirring to prevent burning.
- While compote cooks, prepare granola.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine.
- Bake on sheet tray for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown in color, stirring once.
Make crunchy side salad:
- Chop apples and celery into bite size pieces.
- Combine with strawberries and rhubarb.
- Use fork to crush strawberries and apples slightly and release sweet juices to balance rhubarb’s tartness.
To Serve: Layer strawberry-rhubarb compote with sunflower granola. Add dollop of whipped cream. Serve with a crunchy raw salad. Enjoy outside in the warm, summer sunshine!