Stuffed Corn Pancakes and Guacomole
Global Spotlight on Mexico
We are diving into the corn theme and at the same time highlighting the benefits of avocados next week in our cooking classes! Our recipe incorporates corn flour, cauliflower, mushrooms, and asparagus all in a hearty corn cake that can either be baked or pan fried. As we know from dipping tortilla chips in guacamole, corn and avocados make a great pair, satisfying our taste buds with a savory umami flavor.
Guacamole dates all the way back to the 1500s, where the Aztecs created what they called “ahuaca-mulli” using the same ingredients we use today! While exploring the Americas, the Spanish discovered guacamole and tried to duplicate it using other ingredients, since avocados didn’t grow in Europe. It was never the same as true guacamole!
Does your family have any cultural dishes brought that you cook around the holidays?
How many different types of flour can you name?
How about ancient grains like spelt, millet, kamut, and quinoa?
Why is it important to eat lots of different grains?
- 2 c masa harina (corn flour)
- 1-1.5 c water
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ c queso blanco
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 c mushrooms
- ½ bunch asparagus
- oil for frying
- 3 avocado
- 1 T salt
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 t cumin
- ¼ c fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Wash all veggies
- Blanch or steam the asparagus and cauliflower
- Cut avocados in pieces
- Start with the corn pancakes:
- Measure all ingredients for the dough, mix and set aside
- Prepare the mix-ins:
- Dice vegetables into very small pieces so they can fit inside pancake
- Roll our golf ball size dough balls
- Use your thumbs to make an indentation in the middle
- Chose mix ins for the pancake! Use at least 2 vegetables
- Add cheese
- Fold the sides of the indentation over to cover the toppings and make sure it’s sealed.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat with a little oil
- Fry patties for 3-4 minutes per side
- Make guacamole
- add salt, olive oil and cumin
- Pluck cilantro leaves
- In large bowl mash pieces of avocado
- Mix all ingredients together
Want more corn recipes? Check out all of the corn-filled posts from our blog, including how to make corn ice cream, corn soup, and stovetop popcorn, and what to do with corn silks!