Whether we are teaching, marketing, trading, defending, problem solving, designing, entertaining, creating, consulting, financing, advising or diagnosing we do much of it inside.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency Americans spend about 90% of their time indoors. A significant amount of time indeed!
We are here to help inspire that remaining 10% (if not more) of your time to be spent outdoors, even in winter time. Read below for 5 daily outdoor and wellness tips for each part of your workday:
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier to go for a walk outside. If you live in the country, take a walk around your yard. City dwellers take a walk to your nearest park. Bring your beloved coffee/tea in a to-go cup, sip as you go.
- Take a look at some early morning outdoor exercise programs like an outdoor bootcamp.
- If it’s cold out, prepare yourself by layering, and keeping your extremities warm and bundled (hat, scarf, gloves, boots).
- When the sun is shining earlier in the day, wake up with the sun for even more time outdoors.
- Soak up your vitamin D: try for at least 5-10 minutes of sunlight in the morning, and bask in it’s glow.
- Get up from your desk every hour to stretch and get your blood flowing. Check out some simple yoga poses you can do while at your desk.
- At lunchtime, try to step away from your screen and prepare your lunch while clearing your head. Eat mindfully, focusing on chewing properly. Connect with coworkers, and have a chat/laugh a little! If you are working solo, play some music or daydream. If you must eat at your desk, catch up on some reading.
- In cold weather, eat by a cracked window to breathe in some fresh air.
- In warmer weather, eat alfresco.
- Consider a stand-up desk.
- When you return home put your clothes, bag, coat etc… away in it’s proper place. Expending the effort right when you get home will save your sanity in the long run!
- Hungry? Have a light snack like nuts, hummus + crackers, fruit, crudités.
- After you’ve digested your snack it’s exercise time! Get those sneakers on and go outside for a power walk, jog, bike ride. If it’s warm and you like yoga or pilates, bring your mat to the park, your lawn or roof for an outdoor session. If you have a garden, garden away!
- Near a nature preserve, go for a hike, or exercise somewhere with a great view.
- In the city, chose to exercise away from traffic fumes.
Plan outdoor activities with loved ones:
- Go for a hike
- Take a walking tour of neighborhoods
- Play outside
- Go ice skating
Take ownership and pride in being outside! Your body, soul and mind will thank you!