If you’ve ever cooked with turmeric powder, or fresh turmeric root you know how stained it can make your hands, sink, countertop and clothes – which is great for dying!
Here is how we transformed our plain white bandanas into a beautiful yellow hue, thanks to inspiration from ittybittyimpact
- Vinegar, one part
- Water, four parts
- Turmeric powder, 1/2 C or enough to make the water a deep orange hue
- Large pot
- White bandanas, washed and dried
- Rubber bands
1. Wash and dry your fabric
2. Simmer your fabric in your pot with water, vinegar mixture for 1 hour
3. Rinse fabric under cold water, ring it out and set aside
4. Remove water and vinegar from pot, add in fresh water and turmeric
5. Bring water and turmeric to a simmer for 10 minutes, meanwhile, twist and tie your bandana however you like
6. Add your bandana into the mixture, let it simmer for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it sit in there for your desired length of time (the longer it stays, the deeper the color gets)
7. Remove the bandana, rinse well and remove rubber bands
8. Let it dry, and enjoy!